Monday, December 17, 2007

First Snow

by Anonymous

I know. The first snow was weeks ago, but I'm still smiling about a conversation I had with Halise and Christy in early December.
Christy is from India and Halise is from Turkey. Both were wide eyed watching the Grounds Crew shovel as the flakes continued to fall. That big weekend storm welcomed December and Advent with gusto. Christy and Halise were bundled up, peeking out the window at cars navigating the main intersection on campus and wondering what this would mean for their first winter here at Luther.
Christy had to venture out in the storm for a dentist appointment that first morning. She only made it a few steps when she slipped and fell into the snow onto her hands and knees. "I felt like a child again," she giggled. "It was so slippery and cold and wet on my hands!"
Halise blushed and shared that the snow reminds her of the power and purity of God. The dramatic change in seasonal weather is something beyond our human capacity. "God can do all this - it's white and beautiful everywhere!"
Michael, a seasoned veteran, has been at Luther for a few years now. He remembers his hat wherever he goes and says that the snow made clear the passage in Isaiah. "This is how white and pure we are when our sins are washed away! It's very bright and I'd never seen it before."
The snow has been on the ground for weeks now, but they still seem charmed by it all, which makes me look with fresh eyes. Halise looked at me like I was crazy when I reached down and collected snow with my bare hands. "I worry about your hands - they will freeze!" Something both friendly and devious rose up inside of me. I couldn't resist being the first to hit them with a snowball.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home