Sunday, November 18, 2007

1+1=6

by Anonymous

Matt and I crawled in the back seat of my parents' car this afternoon and headed North to Matt's hometown. It was time for the six of us to feast together and celebrate this wedding in the works.

His mother and father greeted us at the door with the same eager smiles I've known and loved for almost four years. The mothers scurried into the kitchen to talk about mother-of-the-bride/groom dresses while slicing fruit for salads. The fathers looked out over the lake and spoke of the freezing trends in past years. The house was warm with history and talk of the future. Matt and I smiled, watching and listening.

Over a meal fit for royalty we spoke of simple things - the weather, my fear of mascots, Matt's coke bottle eyeglasses from childhood - but also the deeper words that make a family. There was gratefulness and laughter and teasing and joyful, misty eyes. We prayed and shared and listened and reminisced.

This week we will each spend Thanksgiving with our own families, but those lines will soon blur. Next summer we will learn the dance of belonging to four extended families while creating our own family and future. For these things and more, I am thankful.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meta,
This is one of the most beautiful things I have ever read. I cannot be happier for you. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving and I hope to talk to you sometime soon.

11/19/2007 01:08:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

How blessed and greatful that you are joining our family! How sweet it is for God to have brought you and Matt together.....many blessings to your family this Thanksgiving season. Hope to meet your parents and brothers soon!!!

11/20/2007 09:36:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home