Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Free Babies, Come and Get ‘Em! or Great Things about Luther Seminary Vol. II

by brian


One of my favorite things about being here at Luther is that you get free babies while you’re here. As a student enrolled in the MA, MDiv, PhD, MSM, PCP, or DSM-IV programs you are eligible to receive a free baby. Well, this past Saturday my day finally came. The weather outside was nasty with snow and dead finches (the weather station reported 234 accidents on Twin Cities’ roadways from our hospital room—they weren’t reporting from inside the hospital room but rather we were viewing their broadcast while residing in the room), but inside was peaceful and calm. We were greeted to our labor and delivery sweet with roses and an assortment of chocolates and exotic spices. Natalie took a soak in the whirlpool and I went about setting up our video gaming console called by serious gamers, “Wee.” After a couple hours of relaxing, we were brought a pre-baby meal of asparagus, roasted lamb and pistachio-infused, Neapolitan ice-cream (sans the chocolate and strawberry parts, just the way she likes it).

Then it was time to receive our baby. We were quite excited, though nervous about what this might mean for our family. Having one child at Luther has been great but what would it be like to add another? We were quite happy when they brought her in and placed her in Nat’s arms. She cooed and we sighed. We named her Sophie. It makes coming to Luther Seminary all that much better, way better than going to crummy Gettysburg Seminary, where all they give you is rescue lab rats (like the rescue greyhounds only smaller and more likely to carry diseases). After the hospital staff ran a few tests, it was time to take her home. Being quite active people, we jogged (that’s us in the sweatpants, me on the right with the baby carrier on my chest).

6 Comments:

Blogger Andy Behrendt said...

Yay! Congratulations to you both (and to Toby ... and, I suppose, to Sophie for being born). Just to make sure you get to keep this special announcement at the top of the blog for a while, I'll delay my next entry another day or two. (My entry won't be as exciting. Haven't redeemed my "free baby" coupon yet.)

12/05/2007 11:38:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Do you know if the seminary leases babies? I heard someone say the other day that they'd like a baby only about 3 days out of the week.

And I had stopped believing in the stork...

12/05/2007 04:19:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! Yay! Yay! Congratulations to you all on beautiful Miss Sophie! Welcome to the world little one. And Nat, I'll be over with goodies very soon.

12/05/2007 06:54:00 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

Congratulations!

Just so you know, Luther makes good on the free baby promise, even if there might be a delay. My wife and I received our first baby three years after we graduated. Great place, Luther - they always come through for you!

God bless you and your family of four this Advent season.

12/06/2007 06:49:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Sophie is amazing and beautiful! I hope Natalie is feeling as well as possible.

And about that free baby...Well, I have three older models and we're quite happy with them. Do we have to redeem our certificate? Does anyone else want it?

12/06/2007 04:04:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lies! This guy is full of lies and he should stop. If wearing sweatpants makes you a jogger then I'm a flipp'n diesel mechanic because I wear work carharts. I bet you didn't even have a baby! And you are going to be a deacon???

12/07/2007 02:36:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home