Sunday, November 18, 2007

My Saturday

by Anonymous

Three of my favorite things collided yesterday. Four, if you count the beginning of Thanksgiving break.
The Light Rail. If you live in the Twin Cities and you've never used the light rail, you're silly. Actually, I'm silly. I used to drive Old 55 on my way to high school before construction began in the late 90s and would bring the protesters in trees bag lunches. I worried about the trees that would fall and the history we would lose in Minneapolis. Maybe I'm a total hypocrite, but ten years later, I love taking the light rail downtown. Sometimes I run into familiar
faces or meet people I'd never have otherwise known. The train adds a new dynamic to the city and our future. I miss those old trees, but when I look out the train windows, I see the new ones they planted growing stronger every year. I am thankful for those who put up a fight for the park its sacred story.
The Boarder Battle. The Minnesota Gophers played the Wisconsin Badgers at the Metrodome. I was conflicted - daughter of a Madison man, but bred Minnesotan - and hid my red t-shirt under a Gophers sweatshirt all day long. There is love for both teams, but loyalty was shown to the Gophers, a touchdown behind all day long. The fans were scattered and the Midwest Nice Trash Talk was abundant.
Finely Crafted Nachos. Not the really yellow chips you buy in a bag from Sam's Club, but the crisp chips warmed in the oven before being drizzled with chicken, black beans, salsa, sour cream, cheese and guac. It is an art form and I, my friends, am a gifted connoisseur. I found this perfect platter at Sneaky Pete's.
Happy Thanksgiving Break! I hope you collide with some of your favorite things this week, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home