Monday, November 12, 2007

Underdog When You Need Him

by Simone

Okay, I may date myself by asking about the comic hero Underdog. I wonder how many of my fellow Luther Seminary students have ever seen this cartoon in which Underdog, the blue-caped pooch with a “U” in his chest, would arrive on the scene just in time to stop crime and save Sweet Polly Purebred. (You may check out an episode on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_-mMIClI14 )

Honestly, I can’t remember a single episode of Underdog but I remembered this afternoon something Underdog said as he arrived on the scene. He would confidently announce, “There is no need to fear, Underdog is here!”

Sometimes we need people in our lives who will tell us, with as much confidence as Underdog (cape optional), “there is no need to fear.” I had the opportunity to swoop in and offer words of reassurance to a pregnant young woman this weekend. Her mother is a good friend and asked me to offer a blessing at her daughters baby shower on Saturday afternoon. (No I did not wear a cape and I never mentioned Underdog.) I prayed about what to say in the blessing and offered the following:

God we thank you for Ce, this mother-to-be. Thank you for creating her in your image and for blessing her to become a mother.

We thank you for preparing her for motherhood. Quiet any doubts she may have about what the future holds. Help Ce to find assurance in the certainty of your presence—whether it is a late night when the baby seems inconsolable as she cuts her first tooth or as she takes her first steps or much later in life when she sends her off for her first day of college. Remind her that you are with us always.

God, help Ce to know that you offer particular gifts of wisdom, resourcefulness and extraordinary love to mothers such that with God’s gifts a mother can make an unassailable path for her child in the world.

We pray for continued good health for Ce and baby. We pray for all things to be in place for the baby’s arrival.

Thank you for allowing us to share in this special time in Ce’s life. AMEN

It was a privilege to bring to this young woman the good news that God will be with her as she takes on this new role. Of all the things I could have prayed it seemed best to share with her the simple message God is and will be with you.

THEN Sunday afternoon came and I found myself really needing reassurance. My reminder that I need not fear came from my wise older sister. She lives in Florida and because we talked over the phone I don’t know whether she was wearing a cape.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your comments challenge me to think why there are so few comforters wearing blue or other colored capes. Without faith, I might think that there are few who care. However, with faith, I think often there are some who lack the confidence to tell you "never fear". It takes a strong person of faith to be able to tell someone never fear HE is always here. Continue to let your light shine.
Toni -Omaha, NE

11/16/2007 03:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home