Tuesday, October 02, 2007

How the church must change or die, or, What I learned at the ministry conference I went to, I mean Arcade Fire show

by brian

Sunday night, Josh and Matt took me on a date. Not your usual sort of date, no candles, dinner, opera. No, this time, they took me to a rock show. Arcade Fire and LCD Soundsystem were playing Roy Wilkins in St. Paul and we joined in the several thousand strong in experiencing the transcendent joys of music, corporately with strangers as well as live and loud.

At one point while we waited in the foyer with our glasses of wine, Matt turned to me, pointed to the entrance through which we'd just come and said, "Look at these people. They look so happy." I turned and noticed the glee and pleasure emitting from their faces. "Why isn't church like this?" I asked myself. Over the next several hours, Arcade Fire answered that very question and has set me on a new course in my ministry. The scales have fallen from my eyes and I see the way forward in mission. I feel a new dawn dawning on the dawn of a new generation, waiting to be transformed by the powerful message of the church. But how to reach this new generation? Thanks to Win Butler and company I have some ideas.

Loud music. Why DON'T we turn it up and let the congregation be thrilled to gleeful bits over their reverberating chests? In the words of Chuck D, "Turn it up, bring the [gospel] noise."

Lots of lights. I'm as big a fan of the eternal candle as anyone, but how's about we throw up a load of eternal lights, buzzin and whirring all around the sanctuary?

Digital samples. Remember when your grandparents protested the gut-bucket entering the sanctuary? Then your Carpenters-loving mom couldn't stand the sight of a drum kit next to the pulpit. Well, now those who stand in the way of the gospel in the church today refuse to acknowledge the importance of digital music for today's worshipper. "The times they are a changing," baby boomer and sometimes Christian Bob Dylan once said. He was right about digital worship music.

Appendage throwing. At a rock show do you ever see someone with their face in a worship resource? No. They've got body parts flailing and they are authentic. Yeah, authentic.

Opening acts. Why not let a juggler or comic do a bit before the worship service? I was seated next to an LCD Soundsystem fan who'd never heard of Arcade Fire but came for the opener. Guess what? After the show, he bought the latter's new record. See the parallel? I thought you would.

Obtuse lyrics. I'm as Lutheran as they come regarding the issue of proclaiming the gospel to each other in our hymnody (thanks Gracia). But, you should see how many people love this band while their lyrics are vague enough for each person to fill them with their own meaning. Each of their full-length albums have nearly sold 500,000 copies apiece. What do you say to that Paul Gerhardt?

Charging money. Thousands showed up for an event that cost them between $35 and $75. How many more would come to church if we charged? It's that marketing truth that people don't trust free things. If it's $1.50 for a file folder or $2.75, most people are going to buy the more expensive file folder. Are we this dense? Have we never shopped at Target.

Television screens. Throughout the show, Arcade Fire had images of themselves, as well as obscure visual references, thrown up in pixels. This heightened the reaction of the crowd and no doubt brought the message home with greater power.

The lessons rock and roll shows have to teach us are more I'm sure but this will suffice for now.

13 Comments:

Blogger - said...

No, Brian! No, No, NO! Stop!
Worship is NOT, NOT, NOT for your entertainment or mine. Worship is not a party to get tons of people in the door.

Worship is work that we do together to God's glory, to worship our creator, to hear the word of God.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that worship is a show for the purpose of giving hundreds or thousands a "good time." That is NOT what it is! You are describing a concert, a festival, an wild raucaus entertainment for us. And I have no objection to having a bustin' loose good time.

But that is NOT the same thing! Worship is NOT about US!!!!

10/03/2007 04:21:00 PM  
Blogger Dwight P. said...

Brian, I trust that you have written tongue-in-cheek, because what you have imagined has no cognate in the life of faith. The people of God are not an audience; worship is not a show; the Gospel is precisely news of something-for-nothing. Read Matthew's Gospel again: It is all about the formation of a people for suffering, for persecution, for living the hard life. Jesus takes his jabs precisely at the Sadducees and Pharisees who treat their Jewishness as something to make them feel good, but then realize none of the "new identity" in lives given to service.

I happen not to like (most) rock music, despite having a teenager. (In fact, I almost never have.) But I don't expect all people to like William Byrd, either. But the nature of the music is not the issue: The nature of the event is -- and the misunderstanding of worship that you (I hope humourously) promote is entirely foreign to what worship is. Aside for short-term or one-project concerts, how much commitment, life-change, and faith does a rock concert encourage and enable?

Thanks for your post, and you had me going there for a minute (as you did Kate, too, apparently).

Dwight

10/04/2007 08:51:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Read his other entries...obviously this guys isn't to be taken seriously. Calm yourselves.

10/04/2007 04:32:00 PM  
Blogger brian said...

i was indeed trying to be satirical but I'm glad that the potential reality of such a position elicited such fervent responses. kate and dwight p, i'm quite please God in Christ has grabbed hold of you both as it is to our benefit as the church.

10/05/2007 02:13:00 PM  
Blogger Daniel said...

What? No alcohol? No bud? No scantily clad women? I mean really, if we're going to use vices to attract people. I think churches should also start a Justin Timberlake tour...or perhaps a certain Brittany could reappear? I'm sure we could come up with a couple of seasons worth of "Church Survivor" episodes...

10/05/2007 03:22:00 PM  
Blogger Dwight P. said...

OK, I sort of got it, yeah? And I sort of got nervous, too. I'm not a Luther guy, so I'm always hyper-vigilant. But read Saturday or Sunday's StarTribune for the story of churches' using kill-'em'-all video games to "lure" young boys into the Church in order to evangelize them. And that was NOT satire.

Still, it's good to thin the blood of us old stuck-in-the-mud conservatives (I think I'm the only person I know who calls me that, however).

Carry on carrying on.

Your BIC (that's Brother in Christ), Dwight

10/07/2007 06:23:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As for me and my house, I am awaiting the dawning of a new dawn of dawn that Brian so beautifully described in his blog and the rest of you are going to totally miss it.

10/07/2007 08:07:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Time to calm down now, people. Ever heard of satire?

10/08/2007 11:36:00 AM  
Blogger Cha said...

"...and the rest of you are going to totally miss it."

May I please be first in line to miss it???

-C

10/09/2007 11:54:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...me and my family will be second in line.

--Hilary

10/09/2007 03:07:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hmmmmm....so, what if Brian has some truth to his post? I understand that there are some dire conservative Lutherans (and others) in our midst, but what IF church was more fun? What if people looked sincerely happy to be worshipping, dancing in the aisles, or bowed in reverent prayer? David danced, Miriam danced, and others in the Bible rejoiced, prayed. worshipped, and did it a lot more radically than we might even think. They were radical in their praise, not to call attention on themselves, but to WORSHIP God who showed His mighty power. We can't make a mockery of the Spirit, but what IF the Spirit moved with loudness, drums, dancing and rejoicing? I know I would want to be there!

10/12/2007 08:25:00 PM  
Blogger Cha said...

Were the drums, dancing, etc. done at temple worship?

I'll still pass, thanks.

-C

10/19/2007 01:21:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey "-C",

Would you mind identifying yourself? I think you've really misunderstood the purpose of this blog.

Thanks!

10/31/2007 10:28:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home