Monday, September 24, 2007

Books, Books, Books

by Anonymous



I don't have a television at home this year and I find myself crawling into bed earlier each night with a book. There's plenty assigned and plenty more I would love to have time for, so I dabble and dawdle my way through until I start to yawn.


I keep a stack right next to my bed on the windowsill. Some are my favorites and I just like having them around. Others are assigned for classes and part of my daily to-do list. A few recommendations creep in from family or friends. Whether I get to them or not, they belong so I can at least look like I read novels and fiction like "normal people".

Tonight I had a date with a required reading - Kathleen Norris' Dakota. Every semester I seem to have a class that assigns a novel or memoir I thoroughly enjoy. My Exercises in Biblical Theology class will be discussing five pleasure reads on Friday in small groups. We each chose one from this lovely list:
  • Heidi Neumark's Breathing Space: A Spiritual Journey in the South Bronx
  • Kathleen Norris' Dakota
  • Richard Lischer's Open Secrets
  • Marilynne Robinson's Gilead
  • Barbara Brown Taylor's Leaving Church: A Memoir of Faith

I spent twenty minutes sitting on the bookstore floor trying to choose last month.

I've mentioned Dakota in "non-seminary" conversations this week and connected with three people who shared thoughtful memories from reading it years ago. It is a good break from textbooks and a different type of classroom discussion.

*Yawn* That's my cue. It's back atop the stack for tonight.

2 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

Gilead is a hauntingly beautiful book - well worth your time. (As is Dakota - just wanted to add a comment) I'm not sure yet how I felt about Leaving Church: it seemed self-indulgent and prophetic all at once. Maybe you'll just need to read it and find out for yourself.

9/25/2007 07:29:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd read Gilead and Breathing Spaces, so it was time for something new from the list. I also enjoyed Gilead and am glad to see it among course books! Thanks for your comment.

9/25/2007 03:33:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home