Sunday, September 30, 2007

Sweet friendships

by Simone

The greatest sweetener of human life is friendship. – Joseph Addison

I first read this quote on a note sent to me by a wonderful woman, Hazel. Hazel was about the same age as my mother and I met her through a mutual friend who, like me, is a transplant to the Twin Cities.

Although I am not a native Minnesotan, the Twin Cities continue to feel like home because of the rich friendships I share. My immediate family members are miles away but I am blessed with friends who are like mothers, fathers, sisters and brothers.

The opportunity to spend time with friends was the highlight of this weekend. Friday I had a chance to catch up with my friend Stef. We met at work and although I have known her for only a year, our conversation is similar to that between old friends. Over dinner we talked about public policy, family, neighborhood politics, clutter-busting, world music and so much more.

Saturday morning I walked four miles or so with my friend Mae. We met about eight years ago when we were in an investment club together. Over the summer we walked early in the morning three times a week. With classes resuming we have cut our weekday walks and I have truly missed our wide-ranging conversation. Sometimes Mae and I were so carried away with our speedy walking, talking and laughing that we would not hear the bike riders barreling toward us on the shared path through Wirth Parkway.

The weekends are premium study time but I try to set aside time to stay connected to my friends and family. And to the extent that they are interested, I want to share this seminary experience with friends and family.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home