Monday, September 24, 2007

Whoa!

by Simone

Last week was really full. To characterize it as a full week is putting a positive spin on it. In fact it was a week in which the competing demands of my full life were almost too much. At work it was a week with complex projects and tough customers. On campus this second week of class brought the first test in Hebrew (yikes!) and, as I made my way to campus Thursday evening for history class, I thought I missed the memo to board Noah’s Second Ark. Add to this a volunteer Board meeting, taking care of the home front and finding time to stay connected to family and friends. Such full weeks are enough to make you holler and throw up both your hands.

But I did not holler. I did not throw up my hands or think about throwing in the towel. Though stretched close to the limit and bone-tired by Friday, I did not feel completely overwhelmed or question that everything would work out in the end. Throughout the week I responded in the way I learned from my grandmother. As a girl I watched her pray simple prays like, “help Jesus” or “have mercy” through out the day. And I heard Grandmomma singing hymns. Following her example last week, I found myself praying and singing. I felt peaceful and encouraged.

As the semester continues I expect (and pray!) I’ll re-establish a healthy routine. Until then and subsequently I’ll pray and sing my way through.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anne Lamott says the two prayers she says most often are, "Help me, help me, help me!" and "Thank you, thank you, thank you!" Sounds like it was one of those weeks. I can just picture your Grandmother - hope this week brings some peace and balance!

9/24/2007 09:30:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home