Friday, September 07, 2007

"I thought you were Christian!"

by brian

On three separate occasions I heard that refrain directed toward me this summer.

One time I was angrily requesting tree cutters respect the 8:00 quiet hour. Another time I vehemently rebuffed a neighbor's act of blaming me for another's offense.

I hate that refrain, "But I thought you were Christian!" "Aren't Christians supposed to be happy?!" it seems to say. "Aren't Christians supposed to be doormats upon whom I can walk as I choose?" it demands. "Aren't Christians supposed to be morally superior in a way that makes me feel uncomfortable and gives me an excuse not to go to church, because I'm not 'good enough' or makes me sickened by the hypocrisy I know is there?" the phrase pleads.

No.

And that's why Jesus had to come, to save our sorry @##&@. This is going to be my testimony when others are surprised to find me upset, assertive, or even a genuine sinner: even for one so imbalanced like me God declares I am forgiven for Christ's sake.

From now on I'm going to happily look forward to this refrain, even anticipate it. "Yep I am," I'll reply. "What a wild and crazy God, huh?"

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You use words like 'upset' and 'doormat'. Aren't Christians supposed to be happy, fun people?
Is was kinda of a bummer to read this but I am sure God will bless you with some big, big blessing and you will turn the frown upside down!

9/09/2007 01:57:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How offensive to assume that Christians who would respond in a more peacable way would be doormats. Besides, Jesus doesn't call anyone to be a doormat. Perhaps consider the possibility that Jesus calls you to something more not less. Hope for something more in God's grace. It is the future God calls you in to.

9/29/2007 05:35:00 PM  
Blogger Cha said...

"Besides, Jesus doesn't call anyone to be a doormat..."

Well, it depends upon what your definition of a "doormat" is.

Jesus does call us to love those who won't return our love. And to give kindness to those who don't reat us kindly. And he does call us to give of ourselves for the sake of others who won't give anything to us in return. And he did say "Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness sake" and "blessed are you when people revile you and persecute you and say all manner of evil agaist you for my sake."

So - does Jesus call us to be doormats?

I think so.

10/04/2007 10:56:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"So - does Jesus call us to be doormats? I think so"

I think not!

I see doormat as "passive". Loving those who won't return our love, giving kindness to those who don't treat us kindly, and giving of ourselves for the sake of others who won't give anything to us in return.... etc. These are far from passive. These things are a lot of work... work made possible by the power of the Holy Spirit to be sure.

11/04/2007 08:58:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home