Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Yup, it's the last day

by SarahSE

Well, I just came from my Comparative Confessions class where I handed in the last paper I wrote in my seminary career. It's officially over. Now all I can do is wait for the grades to be processed. OR all I can do is leave for Europe tomorrow, not worry about the grades, and just assume that I will be graduating when I return! I like the second choice better.

I think that this whole day is kind of surreal for me. For all intents and purposes this feels like any other Tuesday in the semester. I woke up late like always, rushed to History class, took an exam. Afterwards I put the finishing touches on my Comparative Confessions paper, and then went to that class. But every once in awhile it hits me that this is actually my last day of classes, maybe forever. That is strange to think about. I can't imagine not being in school. I have been in school for 22 of the 25 years of my life. I love school, always have.

Maybe some small part of me is worried that something will come up last minute and I won't actually get my diploma, though the rational part of me says otherwise. I felt the same thing when I graduated from college. Even in the months after I received my diploma, there was this little part of me which worried that I would one day get a phone call from St. Olaf saying, "Sarah, we've made a mistake and you are actually one credit short and you have to come back." But that never happened, of course. And now I am about to graduate with a Master's degree. As far as I know everything is in order. If it isn't, there is not much that I will be able to do about that in Paris, so I guess I just have to let it go. Maybe once I get on the plane tomorrow being all finished will feel more real to me. I guess we'll see.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

congrats, lady -- i'm so proud of you and kevin! enjoy your trip -- i'll wave to you as we're crossing paths over the atlantic!

jb

5/15/2007 02:23:00 PM  
Blogger ~moe~ said...

Congrats Sarah! Miss you and Kevin both! Have a great trip!

5/17/2007 09:29:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny, when I got my visa to come to USA and I had to leave it in my apartment to travel around the country, I had this weird fear that the house would burn down with all my documents and I would not be able to travel after all! Or else, that at the airport something would go wrong.
Good to know that I'm not the only one who "nurse" these sort of unfounded fears. I guess it is part of being human.
Congrats to you on finishing.

Ishaya

5/18/2007 01:55:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home