Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Cross-Cultural Dialogue in an Unlikely Setting

by SarahSE

My intention in going to the Bockman Hall basement on campus was to try and get some homework done. But right smack in the middle of writing a paper on biblical interpretation in American churches I was drawn into a conversation with two of my classmates who also happen to be international students from Africa. The discussion began simply enough. I shared with them that I am taking a class on African Traditional Religions. They shared with me about their experiences of being students from Africa at Luther Seminary. I shared with them that I am curious about what relationships are like between Christian denominations in Africa. They shared with me some of their own stories and experiences of being Christians in a part of the world where Christianity is growing at an exponential rate.

As they took turns sharing I was captivated by the fact that I see these two men on a regular basis and yet I had never actually had a conversation with either of them about these issues before. Listening to them also made me realize that I have so much to learn from them. Studying these things in a class in one thing. Hearing my colleague share his story of attending a Baptist seminary in Africa and now a Lutheran seminary in MN and what that has been like for him made issues of the history of Christian mission work in Africa as well as the struggles of African churches today. It made my learning come alive for me in new ways. It made me realize that we are quite blessed at Luther to have students from all around the world in our midst-- to share their insights and experiences to teach us about ministry in ever expanding global church. I hope and pray that we can take time to listen to our brothers and sisters in Christ who come from places with which we may be unfamiliar and that they can help us to see Christ in new ways and new places. And I thank my friends for taking the time to share their stories with me as we sat at the computers in the Bockman Hall basement. It might not have been on the schedule, but it was well worth the time for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home