Monday, May 17, 2010

Time for a Deep Breath

by Scott Dalen

Well, its done. Finished.

Another semester is in the books...at least unofficially. I'll breathe a touch easier when I get the email from the professor "officially" giving me the big P. P is key as several of my classmates like to say.

As I mentioned in my last posting, Friday night was my final presentation for Hebrew. By the time 5:30 rolled around, I was completely chomping at the bit to get it over with. But finally it was time to get going...just as my wife and kids walked back into the house with a pizza. Smelling that for the next few minutes was torture, I can tell you that much.

But at the same time I was pretty focused on the presentation at hand. I knocked that out, and I was pleased with how it went. I did end up chuckling to myself just a touch after the fact though. I had tons of notes laid out to use while making the presentation. I do this, I prep a lot of stuff to reference. Then when I'm faced with the presentation itself, I don't even look at my notes. I just flow with what I know.

Hey that rhymes...nice.

But as I wrapped up my final duty in Hebrew I had to smile...and walk upstairs to grab the remains of the pizza so I could chow down while listening to the other two presentations. Once the call was done...I took a deep breath...and then broke into a strange little song as I ran upstairs from the basement (where I did all the calls) and into the living room. I don't even remember exactly what I was saying in this song, but it was to the effect of no more Hebrew for me...I'm done with Hebrew.

Yes, my wife looked at me like I was crazy...but that's okay.

I celebrated the end of the semester by doing some manual labor. I spent most of Saturday hanging a couple new lights and painting. This time I was working in the stairwell into my basement, which meant that I had the ladder propped up and I was hanging out over an infinite oblivian...at least that's what it felt like. I finished that project yesterday morning. So my first weekend of freedom was spent working my tail off.

Such is life.

I've got the next two weeks off before starting up my summer class. I'm taking Jesus the Savior and the Triune God. Long title that I tend to shorten up to Systematics 2...or just Jesus. That tends to be the go-to name amongst my classmates. I'm excited for this class for a few reasons.

First is that it's a new class. Every new class brings a certain amount of excitement at the get-go. Second, I really enjoyed the first systematic theology course that we took and so I'm looking forward to this one as well. Third, this will be my first class with my advisor, so that will be a plus to interact with him. Finally, following completion of this class, I will officially have enough credits under my belt to be a middler. It's only taken two years to complete my "first year" of seminary.

Of course, I am half time, so I guess that make sense.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home