Friday, April 23, 2010

Random Thoughts

by Scott Dalen

Ever noticed that life is really off the wall? Things just happen. We try to plan and control and life steps in and says "Nope, don't think so."

I used to be adaptable. I like to think that I still am, but I'm also admit that I've gotten a lot more structured than I was in my younger days.

Wednesday night I was teaching my last confirmation class for the school year, and we were discussing structure within both the church year as well as within worship. The common theme that we kept coming back to is "how is structure helpful?" One of the things we focused on (in order to bring our minds in the right direction) was talking about the structure of our day. I've come to realize that I don't have a lot of variety in my day to day activities any more.

What happened to me?

I have now rambled just a little bit, mainly for the purpose of introducing the notion that this particular posting has no specific focus. Ususally I have a general focal point for writing. Not so much today.

My last posting discussed the pending end of the semester. We're getting closer. For my fellow poster Amber, this is good news as she's rapidly approaching graduation. If I peer down the tunnel of life, I can see graduation...but it's way down the tunnel...hiding somewhere in the 2014 section.

Uff-da.

In my last meeting with my partner pastor, we were discussing this semester and the contextual work that I've been doing. If you aren't aware, this semseter, our requirement is quite a bit smaller than it has been in the past. We used to need 10 hours a week for a total of 140 hours over the course of the semester. This semester they dropped it to 3-5 hours a week. This brings the requirement to 42-70 hours.

In talking with the pastor, we discovered that I've already past the 70 hour mark for the semester and since I'm gearing into final project mode for Hebrew, my contextual work is going to go on the back burner for the next few weeks.

Other things wrapping up...this week marks our last grammer/vocab quiz for Hebrew, which I am very happy about. I'll admit it, I'm not a linguist (though apparently I do use big words from time to time...fascinating).

It's also good to realize that the school year itself is getting close to being done, though not entirely. I am still taking a summer class that won't be done until about mid July. But a new class always brings with it a certain amount of excitement, so that will be good to get started in another month.

The power went out in town last night. I think it happened about 2:30 and it must have been out for a little while. It came back on about 3 and the ceiling fan made enough noise starting to move again that it woke me up. I got up and reset the clocks. I'm not sure what happened, but it carried over. I was at work for all of about 45 minutes this morning and it happened again.

Losing power at work is a pain. It leaves us dead in the water. No computer, no phone...no method of communication other than cell phones. Not fun. But fortunately it only lasted about 10 minutes. I'm hoping that it doesn't repeat itself again today.

My brain is empty. I have nothing more to talk about...unless you'd like to hear me expound about last night's episode of Survivor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home