Tuesday, April 20, 2010

lament

by Amber

A lament or lamentation is a song, poem, or piece of music expressing grief, regret, or mourning. (Thank you Wikipedia for that definition).

About 60 people are taking Psalms class with Rolf Jacobson right now. This week one of our (three) assignments was to write a lament psalm. Not read one, WRITE one. Well, I forgot to do this part of the assignment and was reminded by my trusty friend Hannah when she got to class. I had two minutes to write my lament. I guess under pressure, the truth comes out:

Amber's-La-Mental-Psalm

God, life sucks.
Where are you right now?
Why do you seem absent in all those who talk to me?
Why do you seem absent in all the words I speak?

God, where’s the relief?
Why do my prayers go to waste?
How bad does it have to get before you pardon me?
Why do I have to keep asking?

Help move me, God, from this place where evil sucks me in.

God, I do trust in you.
So, why is my faith wavering?
I wish I could give an answer,
But I’m too distressed to find it.

God, here's my promise:
Even in life’s suckiness,
I’ll lift my hands to you,
Even if only on a slack-line.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home