Thursday, October 08, 2009

A modified work day

by Scott Dalen

As an online student, I’ve learned to start taking advantage of any opportunity to knock out a little bit of work for class. Yesterday reminded me of that. I was sitting at work about 9 in the morning when my wife called to report that our daughter was running a fever and one of us had to go pick her up. She was sitting in her weekly staff meeting and couldn’t really leave right away. I on the other hand had a pretty low-key day going on at work and so it worked okay for me to jet out for a few hours.

So I forwarded my emails and left work behind me. Which was a nice feeling, but short lived, I knew I’d be coming back. I buzzed out to the day care and grabbed the munchkin who didn’t seem overly bad off, but she was certainly warm. So I took her home, gave her a shot of Tylenol and put her to bed.

The thought went through my head…should I grab a nap? Should I slack and watch tv? Nope, I’m gonna be productive.

So I sat down and start translating some Greek participles. Got a few done, almost half way through the assignment. It took me a couple hours though. The good news is that’s two hours that I didn’t have to spend last night to finish the assignment and get it posted. After dealing with slightly ornery junior high kids at confirmation class, the early I could get done the better.

After that it was back to work for a few more hours, but then I left early anyway. I had to jet out at 3 to pick up my son from school, something that typically gets done by my better half. I got to thinking. Go in at 7, off at 9:15, back at noon till 3 is a pretty nice work day. I could get used to that.

1 Comments:

Blogger Amber said...

Tv or participles??? C'mon man!! Watch TV!! :0 Props to you for being productive though. I could learn a lot from you! :)

10/08/2009 02:50:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home