Friday, October 09, 2009

Getting ready for winter ... already.

by Harvey

As the weather gets uncomfortably cold too early for most of us, and the flashes of images of a long cold winter fast approaching scare the living lights out of many of us, I am forced to think again of what it is that I am doing in Minnesota for me to brave the Minnesota Winter again. A few of the new international students are getting worried. They hear a lot about the winter, and they have no idea what to expect. Certainly, the winter here deserves all the credit it gets. But that is just one side of the story. Minnesota Winter is beatable.

Today, I remembered an encouraging conversation I had with one of the professors in January. After going through the academic stuff that I had gone to his office for, I asked him, “How have you managed to survive these winters so far?” With a chuckle, he answered, “I enjoy what I do here, I am confident that I am at the right place at the right time.” And he added, “Three more months, all this will be over.”

I left the office with a refined attitude. There was no way the winter would ruin my stay here. I have my gloves ready. Just like the professor, I enjoy what I am doing here, I am confident I am where I am supposed to be. And true, winter is just for a season. Come March, the snow will begin to disappear and the ice will melt.

It is expected that we will wake to a snowy ground tomorrow. I will make sure I find one of the African students for an “Introduction to Snow.”

Within the week, many of the new international students wondered about the sports frenzy in the Twin Cities. I don’t blame them. I have been here for two years, and still can’t figure American Football out. Neither do I understand baseball. And then there is ice hockey. There are many sports teams here, the Vikings, Gophers, the Wild, the Twins, etc. Only now am I able to figure out which one is which. At least, I know Minnesota Thunder. Thunder plays soccer, (elsewhere called football). If you are like me, and love to watch a bit of soccer once in a while, you will be entertained. Not to mention our own soccer team, The Heretics. You are welcome to join the team during practices, normally on Thursdays at Sandgren.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home