Tuesday, May 19, 2009

ah, rest!

by Jeni

It's finally come, the lull between classes and graduation. What to do? No finals left, no papers to do. It is finished, after all. It being Jesus' death as well as my seminary career. Though no trumpets sounded, the sweet relief of finishing up is just as great. Though I'm far from having nothing to do (cleaning before family arrives for the weekend, planning and packing for the biggest trip of my life and getting ready to say goodbye to friends), I am enjoying the respite.

I've started to look up recipes and actually cook them. Last week I learned how to make a delicious Caesar Salad and I finally found a yummy recipe for buttermilk pancakes. I even made a delicious tortellini salad.

I've been reading for fun. I'd forgotten what that was like! I'm finishing Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry from last semester and have opened Phyllis Tickle's The Great Emergence. Good stuff.

I've been listening to good music. I finally picked up Sigur Ros's 2008 album
Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust (or With a Buzz in our Ears We Play Endlessly). Today Iron & Wine's new album Around the Well came out and includes rare, never released songs. Lastly, Green Day's new album 21st Century Breakdown. I haven't listened to it enough to actually say something about it, but it promises to be provocative and (helpfully?) critical of the Church, or the stereotypes thereof, anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home