Thursday, March 19, 2009

Discernment Anyone?

by Nina

What do you think? Seminarians have it all together? I sure don't!

I know that as a diaconal ministry candidate, I often feel lost. The church has a lot of places for pastors. It seems like everyone knows what a pastor is. Everyone knows what a pastor does. Most everyone knows a pastor. I know tons of pastors, actually. So many, I wouldn't even want to try to count them.

I do not know a single consecrated diaconal minister. I know of one person who is a diaconal minister. I know a couple of people who are close to the end of their candidacy journey towards diaconal ministry. I know several diaconal ministry candidates here at Luther....but I don't technically know any diaconal ministers.

Today I had almost an hour long conversation with someone I really respect. She thinks I need to explore more deeply the call of being a pastor. She thinks I may be missing it with this diaconal ministry route. After our conversation, I went to the preaching class I don't need but am taking as an elective. (I choose it because preaching was scary to me and I think I might have to preach someday as a diaconal minister - so I'd rather figure it out now than in front of a couple hundred people.) Preaching class did not help this lost I'm feeling right now. I would dare even say I love preaching....now that I've actually tried it. I think I might even be pretty good.

I can't help but wonder what God's doing with me and where I'm headed. Is this ground-breaking work of diaconal ministry where God wants me? or maybe I'm being coaxed towards that P-word. I guess discernment isn't something we ever get to check off our list of things to do....even though it is certainly on my list this week.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the biggest thing you need to think about when you are discerning your call is are you called to administer the sacraments? If you are called to Word and service then perhaps preaching is part of that call -- however if you are called to administer the sacraments then perhaps you should think about pursuing ordination.

3/20/2009 08:36:00 PM  
Blogger Jeni said...

I'm slightly covetous of your call, Nina Joy. I think you'll be doing incredible work in a very non-traditional way: at the actual intersection where faith meets life, outside of the church (not that it can't meet inside the church). Whichever way you go, I'm excited.

3/21/2009 05:43:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nina, please stop posting pages from my diary in public forums. It is an invasion of my privacy.

(Kidding. And consider my offer from the other day "standing".)

You're good stuff.

3/21/2009 07:16:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't understand why you go to Seminary for Diaconal Ministry. Doesn't that have to do with rectal malfunction and colon issues? You'll do great giving diaconal exams!

3/26/2009 09:54:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home