Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Hit the fan

by Daniel

I remember when a Luther Seminary faculty member told me that it’s about this time of year that many students have a “glazed over” look on their faces. This past weekend was relaxing – perhaps a little too relaxing. It went by a little too quickly if you ask me. This week is quite intense (make that very intense). The end of half-semester courses means finals for three of my classes on subsequent days. This is a delicate balancing act as one can’t forget about regularly assigned homework and readings. I’m taking the week off from being a teaching constituent so that I can spend all the extra time I can in our lovely library. I’ve been taking a class on common source materials (and subsequently commonalities) between Judaism and Christianity. Here’s something interesting for you. I was blessed enough to attend a Friday evening worship service and Mount Zion Synagogue in St. Paul. Many of my classmates were there. The cantor had the most beautiful voice. I don’t think I’ve ever heard Hebrew sung as beautifully. I can also attest that the congregation definitely knows how to cater a fellowship hall – there wasn’t the regular “bars and fruit punch” – but all sorts of “exotic” enticing goodies (can you say – red velvet cake?). The sense of community was astounding. I hope that many of you take the opportunity to visit. It’s a great opportunity to converse, have fellowship, and advance Christian-Jewish relations. Have a good night. I’m off to write a paper on DtrH (Deuteronomistic History).

-Dan

1 Comments:

Blogger tjackson80 said...

that service is phen-freaking-nomenol

3/19/2009 11:19:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home