Saturday, March 14, 2009

dipatches from austin...

by Tim K. Snyder



As many of you know, as Distributed Learners, we spend 10 hours a week in a local congregation. During Lent at St. Martin's Evangelical Lutheran Church we have community meals and a short vespers worship, followed by classes, confirmation, choir practices, etc. Two weeks ago, Pastor Craig Sommers (my partner pastor) and I dished up soup and salad for the meal and then he led an adult bible study.

Here's a bit of what I'm learning from context. These relationships are central. Pastor Craig and I meet Wednesdays before evening programs start and those conversations range from leadership to pastoral care, to Apple products (essential to real ministry) to quirky elements of congregational life. These are holy conversations.

My context is a bit more complicated than some, as I'm also an ELCA mission developer, a networker with Luthermergent & recently launched an arts & literary magazine to celebrate stories of grassroots, alternative, and emergent Christianity.

Its has been a hetic few weeks, but finally my work is getting beyond the always mudane and I encouraged by its life-giving potential.

pax --

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home