Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Blurry Preacher

by Anonymous

Every spring at Luther Seminary, MDiv Seniors are invited to the pulpit to preach at a daily chapel service. Mine came yesterday.

This year many of us were surprised or disappointed when we learned that there would be no official nominating process for senior preachers. In the recent past, seniors have been asked and it has come to be seen as a privilege. With the change in organization came much hesitation.

I was also shy and tentative, but not entirely opposed to nominating myself. I choose to understand this as a privilege regardless of the new process because I am grateful to this preaching community. My faith and spirit have benefited greatly from daily chapel at Luther. Now it was my turn to share something with the community and conversation of proclamation.

One of the daily lectionary texts for February 11 was 1 Chronicles 21. I liked its obscure vision of mercy and decided to run with it. I never said Jesus in this sermon and this was the first time I’ve done that. Professor Carol Miles asked my Preaching the Old Testament class to wonder, “Can I preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ without explicitly saying Jesus?” and I didn’t have an answer yet.

I didn’t say Jesus in my sermon, but he was everywhere. The God we know through Jesus mercifully calls us back and makes us new. In the Nicene Creed, we confess that Jesus has been around since the very beginning and that all things were made through him. In John 1 we know that the Word was in motion and relationship long before Mary conceived. The Triune God was dealing with King David and forgiving his sin. The Triune God is at work in each Old Testament story and the grace it imparts.

I’m glad I preached in chapel and could share a story I learned to love with my peers and mentors. I’m also glad that I’m nearsighted and didn’t wear my glasses yesterday. When they look a little blurry, it’s less scary and much easier to pretend that they’re all smiling and nodding out there.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We really were smiling and nodding!

2/12/2008 02:14:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good stuff...it was fun to see and hear you in action.

Could you expand on how the Senior preachers were chosen this year?

Hilary

2/13/2008 03:50:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks and sure! At first it was a first come, first serve. Then we started nominating each other by sending emails to the sacristan and Pastor Mann so they would bug our classmates too.

Usually seniors start preaching sooner in the school year than January, so we'll try to get a lot of our classmates up there before May. Encourage seniors you know to preach - it's not too late.

2/13/2008 10:41:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok. I went to Luther when we voted and only so many "got" to preach and it got to be a bit of "best of" type event. (or if you weren't chosen, a "popularity" contest, as one classmate said. :)

I was curious from your post as to what the change in process was. Thanks and again, thanks for offering your gifts to the church.

2/14/2008 01:20:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home