Sunday, January 27, 2008

The 'M' Words

by Anonymous


I caught myself doing it again on Friday. I was driving home from school through the dark streets of St. Paul thinking about Money. (Note: Ringing in the weekend by listing all the reasons you don't have enough, haven't saved enough, spend too much and put off scary expenses is a real bummer.)

I didn't realize that my mind was racing into Debbie-Downerville until I turned east onto Selby Avenue, and saw it shining brightly in the distance. The red "1st" blinked on and off atop the First National Bank, reading my mind. Sometimes Money slips into first place and convinces me to live deeply in the Myth of Scarcity.

Can you tell I am doing a Stewardship independent study this January term?

I pulled my car over where I could still see the beacon flashing and took a timeout. I know that we live in a culture of consumerism and convince ourselves that spending is good for the economy and that worrying about not having enough can sometimes be seen as responsible or entirely normal and trendy. I know this because we have TV shows like Deal or No Deal that illustrate the truth: that things of this world will never be enough. People walk onto that stage looking for a little cash to change their lives or to get back on track. They seem nice enough and remind us of the dreams in our own hearts and wallets.

But twenty minutes later, $125,000 isn't enough. No Deal! No Deal! It's not enough because the possibility of More still exists, however slim. I've felt this way when scholarship money or financial aid checks come in. I can fix my car! I can buy new glasses! I can pay my tuition or health insurance! I can splurge on that yummy 7 layer dip at Kowalskis today! Life is good...

Until I think of something else I want or need. Until I see someone else thriving in ways I want to thrive. It lives in all of us, this Myth of Scarcity, and beams out over my city in flashes of red.

I am passionate about the Gospel of Jesus Christ because it holds Promises beyond affluence and status, healthy IRAs and Coach purses. Jesus says I AM true water. I AM true bread. I AM the one thing that can fill you up without letting you down or requiring an upgrade. (Can you tell my other January Term class is the Gospel of John? He loves the I AMs!) I sat in my cold car on the dark street and thought about the Gospel of Abundance that the world so desperately needs to hear. I thought about my life, rich in friendships, family, love, education, health and faith.

It can be scary to talk about Money in church, but Jesus spoke about wealth, poverty and charity more often than anything we choose to bicker about. Money and More will continue to thrive with capital letters in our lives if we tuck Stewardship away as a one-Sunday sermon and campaign each year. Money and More will continue to haunt us if we fear Money talk and only speak about time and talents. Money and More will convince us that scarcity is Lord unless we start understanding Stewardship as Discipleship.

I will never have enough if I live as a servant to that blinking sign and trust in Money and More as though they are mine. God has entrusted us with this planet, our skills, our love, our words, our time and our resources making us each unique reflections of God's grace and abundance. May we give and share and love and trust in the Gospel of Jesus Christ, which fills us up with everything we never knew we needed. Deal, Howie.


Fun Fact: The bible speaks of 'tithe': a tenth of what is earned as a baseline for charitable giving to the church. This is meant to be the first fruits - before basic expenses and personal needs and wants as a symbol of trust in God to provide abundantly. (Weird. The bible is being counter cultural...again.)

Not-so-fun fact: The average ELCA parishioner gives less than 2%.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mary Hess said...

You go, girl! Powerful reflection, Meta. The only quibble I have with it, is the factoid about the average parishioner only giving 2%. My hunch is that that 2% is calculated purely in terms of actual funds going in an envelope to a church. But doesn't the ELCA, or Lutherans more generally, have a robust definition of vocation? Isn't it possible that those same parishioners are giving funds to organizations that aim to support the common good and change society for the better? Or perhaps they're giving the equivalent in time and talent? I suspect one reason there's less money given to churches, is that people have no real belief that they can make a difference. We need to work on our communal sense of agency!

1/29/2008 06:47:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We absolutely do and thank God! Vocation should never be skimmed down to money, but I spoke more specifically about money because it's easy to leave that part out of a stewardship sermon or discussion.

During my independent study I conducted several interviews with pastors and laity. I was suprised that so many challenged the definition of a tithe (before or after taxes? 10% to the church or total in my charitable giving? shouldn't I pay my bills first?) or wanted to only talk of time and talents.

I'm so glad stewardship does not limit itself to a dollar amount and calls us to give all of ourselves, time and talents, as disciples. I brought up that fact because it supports my claim that money isn't discussed effectively or understood as taboo.

Great feedback - thank you!

1/29/2008 12:22:00 PM  
Blogger Erin Dawn said...

Thanks Meta, I needed to hear that!! You are amazing with words and God Bless you for sharing them!! Miss you around here by the way!!

2/05/2008 12:05:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home