Saturday, January 05, 2008

Hello

by Anonymous

Christmas break was full of Hellos.

Family and friends came into town for the holidays. My youngest brother introduced me to his girlfriend and my cousin brought her boyfriend to town for a whirlwind tour of her St. Paul life. Matt and I celebrated with both of our families, learning the shared Christmas dance and more about each other’s traditions. Most of vacation was spent meeting and greeting, eating and laughing, hugging and telling people that I love them.

In the chaos of the Christmas season, I found myself in total silence one late afternoon last week. I was saying hello to my goddaughter’s new sister while her family slept and rested from the new excitement and addition to their home. While everyone retreated to their rooms for a nap or went out for a few errands, Baby Advent cuddled with me on the couch.

She nestled her face right into my neck and lapsed quickly into a deep sleep that left me both alone and in total community with her. I sat reclined in front of their large picture window watching the light snow fall and light fade, enjoying a Hello and a little slice of the peace we’d been praying for all season.

When my phone buzzed and I answered softly, I heard a friend in Boston deep in the whirlwind of mall noise and music. “I’ll call you back later,” I whispered. “We’re napping.” While I didn’t fall asleep, the smell of newborn infant and the faint rising and falling of her chest on mine felt like a dream away from everything outside the window.

Hello, I thought. It’s nice to finally meet you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home