Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Starting to get used to it

by Scott Dalen

So I've noticed something over the course of my tenure as an intensive student. Things start off crazy but then by the end we start to get used to it. I'm in that mode now.

It occurred to me this morning that the schedule seems to be evening out just a little bit. Here's a normal day.

Roll out of bed at 6am. Yes, this is as drastically early as it sounds.
Get ready for the day and head out at 6:30.
Say a little prayer that traffic hasn't kicked in yet and head on over to campus.
All things normal, arrive about 7am...walk over to the caf.
Pull out the computer and briefly live in the myth that I'm going to accomplish someting before class.
Greet the fellow classmates as they trickle in and fill the table.
Head off to class at 8...2 breaks are welcome between 8 and 11.
Head off to chapel.
Eat some lunch and then actually accomplish a little bit of homework till class at 1:30.
Sit through afternoon class...once again, breaks are welcome.
Class gets done...the cohort members breathe a sigh of relief...I tense up because its time to fight rush hour going home.

Side note...I actually made it home in 40 minutes last night.

So that's the norm. There's only one hitch. By this point of the intensive...namely half way through week 2...we tend to be hitting the wall. What was once a priority has slide down the "to-do" list.

This is an unfortunate thing because there's a very fine line between being used to the hectic pace and being at the point where you just don't really care anymore. I'm sitting right on that line.

As I ponder on that, I'm wondering about the upcoming semester. How long will it take for me to get used to the schedule again? We'll have to wait and see I guess.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Scott,

Sounds like a tough existence. But, I'm glad that you are holding your own. When I went to seminary, I had a very different situation. My wife had to make concessions to accommodate my call to full-time ministry, and I had very little time to blog, go to Mannings's for lunch, or spend time with her (for that matter). Full time course work sure is difficult, isn't it? I didn't even have the luxury of working full-time for a trucking company prior to accepting the call to ministry. Boy, I sure missed out!

I'm glad to hear that your studies are progressing nicely, though. Hang in there! It can be pretty tough, but a seminary education sure pays off in the end! You'll never regret it.

Good luck with your endeavors. You are constantly in my prayers.

Keep up the good work.

1/24/2011 10:39:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home