Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Making the change

by Scott Dalen

The changes are really coming to a close now, though with that I'm noticing just how different some of the changes really are.

Today was finally my son's first day of school up here in the Twin Cities. We dropped him off this morning and he seemed just fine. But first change, drop off time isn't until 9:20. That's over an hour later than we are used to dropping off the kids. Uff-da.

After dropping him off, my wife headed off to work. I received a call this morning from the Twin Cities director of internships wanting to have a sit down with me, and he mentioned that he was going to be on campus today. That actually worked out really well as I was planning a trip over to campus as well. Divine timing I guess.

So I hopped in the truck and headed out, making my first trial run to campus. It was a fairly uneventful trip, taking me about 25 minutes...about what I expected, though this was past rush hour. I'm shuddering to think how long it will take when I have to be there for an 8am class next week. But here's another difference. I used to "attend" class on the computer. Now I have a 21 mile commute...one way. So much for my truck never racking up miles I guess.

While I was on campus I ran into a fellow cohorter, met one of my professors that taught a class I took fall semester, and hit the bookstore...in addition to having my meeting of course.

Here's the next difference that I noticed. I used to take 2 classes in a semester and books would run me around $100, give or take a little. now, with 5 classes this spring, my total is going to be right about $400...ouch. That's a big difference right there.

What other differences will I discover? Well, at the moment, that remains to be seen. I'll keep you posted though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home