Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Aus Lectures

by Amber

Did you get a chance to get to the Aus Lectures on Tuesday or Wednesday? One word sums is up: AMAZING! I'm taking a class with Andy Root right now, he's relevant and real, so I'm not surprised his mentor/teacher Kenda Creasy Dean was equally awesome. Her sermon today in chapel was the first sermon (in a long time) I actually heard every word of. Not to mention, today was a Wednesday, which typically means choir, hymns. There's very little change on a Wednesday. Don't get me wrong, I love hymns, even sang in choir in high school and college, but there seems to be very little room for creative elements and alternative music on a Wednesday. Friday...maybe, but not at a communion service. Well, there was a GUITAR there today. Two solo songs sung by a guest worship leader (visiting for the conference--what a great way to make use of the gifts of a visitor) with a GUITAR! I about died when he walked up to sing. I thought I was dreaming. Not sure who made this happen, but feel free to let me know so I can come shake your hand with gratitude.

Back to Kenda. It was awesome to see someone who isn't stuck on the escalator helplessly shouting for help (to use her metaphor). She climbed her way off of that stationary beast a long time ago and is making strides toward answers, solutions, and relational dynamics that will shape how we interact with young people and their parents in the future. Did you miss all this goodness? Here's the link for yesterday, so you can take in her awesomeness for yourself! Close to 120 other youth workers came to be a part of this 3 day conference, and I tell you what, there was some awesome energy on campus today! So glad we have gatherings that bring alumni and new friends to our campus. It gets boring looking at the same people all year long! Thanks for coming!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

The guitar guy was Jake Bouma. He's awesome. Check out his blog and/or album. I am not at liberty to discuss the details of his involvement in worship, but you can trust Rollie had a hand in it. Also...you're right, Kenda rocked!!

3/03/2010 09:55:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home