Thursday, April 02, 2009

Worship Wars

by Nina

When I first came to Luther Seminary I was excited to see how worship went on campus. I imagined campus chapel to be this grand place of innovation and experimentation. I mean, pastors trained here leave for a myriad of contexts...and worship seems like a pretty important part of the leadership pastors do in churches. I thought it would be important to get to try different things in a new way before heading to the parish, where experimentation might not be as well received. This place, after all, is primarily a place of learning.

I was most certainly disappointed in this respect. I came from a small to mid-sized congregation in rural South Dakota. Our worship varied from organ to bluegrass bands to (actually) contemporary Christian music, sermons to dramatic readings involving children, regular youth led music, piano, Holden Evening prayer, Hymns, praise songs, chanting Psalms. This rural congregation had a drum set in the sanctuary. We didn't have worship wars, because we tried just about anything and everything. This congregation did a lot of experimentation in worship based on the gifts of those who were part of the Body.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen this kind of attitude here at Luther. We have a group of fabulous musicians studying in the Sacred Music program. Their gifts are wonderfully shared during our chapel worship services. But the variety that happens here - happens between the organ and choral music. It happens in the choice of hymns. I don't see a ton of innovation. I don't see us lifting up the gifts of other, less traditional (or ancient) church music or musicians, at least not very often. We have (right here) in our student body people who have come from the music business in Nashville, Christian rap artists, folk musicians, and those leaving the performance industry in LA. We have talented guitar players, and pianists, and songwriters. And I'm sure there are many other gifts existing outside our boxes of what chapel worship should look like.

I'm not sure why our worship on campus seems so stuck. Do we have a really small, boxed-in, concept of that which is sacred? I hope that chapel can be both a place of authentic learning and authentic worship for the members of our community. It still seems like a place where people are living out the expectation that, as leaders, we have to get it "right."

4 Comments:

Blogger Mary Hess said...

I'm glad you raised this issue! I happen to know that Dirk and Chris (our two new worship professors) are keenly interested in expanding the range of how we worship at Luther. And certainly, I remember several years ago a much more varied approach (including several different groups of student musician). I'm glad to see you reflecting on this, and I hope other people pick up on it.

4/02/2009 05:30:00 PM  
Blogger christian scharen said...

Nina,
Excellent post, and one that I resonate with in many ways. Every time I have a chance to lead chapel (which, mind you, is not often--three times, to be exact) I have tried to open up other options since I, as you have, experience the chapel to run on a pretty narrow bandwidth of expressions compared to the church catholic.
Let's talk. Perhaps we can spark a broader conversation about what chapel is for, and what we can do about it. In the meantime, blessings on your creative and faithful spirit in our midst.
Peace,
Chris

4/02/2009 07:03:00 PM  
Anonymous Laura Aase said...

I appreciate that you specifically lift up life as a community as influence in shaping and leading worship together. The talents within Luther Sem's student body, faculty and staff is staggering and could be such a gift to the worship life and to the community.

Here in internship land, I've been charged with leading a unique community in a unique worship experience weekly. While we may joke that "seminary didn't prepare me for plumbing" it is unfortunate that seminary isn't immersing the future leaders in the church in the wide variety of worship experiences that, in fact, do happen out there in the real world.

I am encouraged by the new professors on campus and this continuing and important conversation.

4/03/2009 12:39:00 AM  
Anonymous TCPastorGuy said...

I was so disappointed by chapel worship while I was a student at Luther. It was so narrow and rigid, and did very little to prepare a majority of us for diverse worship outside the "seminary box". On internship and in the parrish I serve now...worship is fun, contemporary, and creative. The last time I cracked a hymnal was years ago. The seminary better start doing a better job realizing that it is being left in the dust, and is bordering on irrelevance...

4/08/2009 12:47:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home