Sunday, November 23, 2008

Garrison Keillor on Preaching

by Jeni

On Friday night Colin & I got to see the "rehearsal" of this week's Prairie Home Companion live at the Fitzgerald Theater on Exchange Street in St. Paul. I put quotes around rehearsal because it was more like a laid back version of Saturday night's program with more songs, skits and general shenanigans that can be broadcast.

It was awesome.

Perhaps the best show I've heard of a Prairie Home Companion, it offered great entertainment from Kristin Andreassen, wonderful singing by two of the Steele sisters and funny skits that made good jokes about Norwegian Lutheran Pastors. Quite great. Do listen if you have the chance.

After the show we got to go back stage, see the little blue house, the set, meet the cast and finally, Mr. Keillor himself. My cousin, who has connections to the show, introduced us to Garrison and told him we were Norwegian Lutheran Pastors. We got to talk to him for a little while and asked him about preaching. He said, "throw out the first two pages of your sermon; get to the heart of it." We asked him about styles about preaching and he let us know his dislike for "humor" in sermon and when asked what style he likes, he said, obviously, "stories." Not bad for a Friday night.

4 Comments:

Blogger aase said...

I think Mr. Keillor would be saddened to know I once heard a sermon (by a usually outstanding preacher, in my humble estimation) that drew heavily on humor ala Lake Wobegon. I think he gave great advice!

11/23/2008 09:09:00 PM  
Blogger Jeni said...

I think the cutesy humor is what he was talking about most specifically. He himself uses humor quite well to tell good stories.

Also, Dr. Lewis' Wednesday chapel sermon used some Lake Wobegon images and good humor. And it rocked.

Also, I operate with this simple rule: "I am not funny."

Also, you're awesome and we miss you.

Also, Happy Thanksgiving!

11/23/2008 10:40:00 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

If I use humor it is the only ting people will comment on from the sermon. Actually, anytime I use a good illustration it is the only thing that they comment on from the sermon. I wonder if this is why Mr. Keillor says, "Get to the heart of it."

11/24/2008 10:32:00 PM  
Blogger Jeni said...

Scott, I think you're on to something; as always.

11/26/2008 12:26:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home