Monday, March 17, 2008

A Registration Blip Gone Right

by Anonymous

Earlier this winter I registered for Worship in Israel and Psalms - two separate courses that would occupy the first half of this spring semester. It didn't take long to realize that these courses have a lot in common (including two textbooks). When I realized this fluke, I decided to embrace the situation and the perks of overlapping homework.

Today is my last lecture for both courses before we break for Easter and pick up new courses in April. I've been blessed by this registration faux pas and have been given basic tools, lessons and practices that will better equip me for ministry and personal reflection.

I appreciated tools like Eaton's commentary and Eugene Peterson's Answering God and spending quality time in the form and style of particular psalms. But most importantly, I was asked to read and pray them consistently during Lent. I kept a Psalm journal that followed me everywhere in case there was time to sit and write while I waited for an oil change or between classes. I was challenged to apply these Psalms to both unique and ordinary worship experiences, exploring the musical and prayerful potential of each piece.

We brushed up on our Hebrew and explored reasons for placing the Psalms in the order we find them. There is a Psalm for every emotion, scenario and prayer. These courses blindly(?) worked together to teach me how to bring this scripture, song and prayer into my own daily life and my future ministry.

I'm glad I wasn't paying attention when I registered. This double duty gave me a chance to focus more deeply on something particular and personal this semester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home