Tuesday, March 04, 2008

The day I thought would never come

by Andy Behrendt

As a friend once pointed out to me in middle school, March 4th is the only day of the year that is also a command.

It was today of all days that we learned that Brett Favre has finally decided to stop his march forth. My greatest sports hero, who began as quarterback for the Green Bay Packers when I was 11 years old, is retiring.

Oddly enough, I had a dream last night that Favre was still playing but got hurt, ending his amazing 275-game streak as the starter and sending the Packers into a losing tailspin. That was a bad dream.

This, however, is something of a nightmare. I was about to begin rehearsing next Sunday's liturgy at my Teaching Parish when Tracy called me to break the news (her boss, a Vikings fan, was laughing maniacally in the background). I was just short of stunned. Packers fans (and the Wisconsin media, with which I had to prepare for this day every offseason since 2002) have repeatedly played this game of waiting to learn whether Favre would retire, but, even when it seemed like he would, he wouldn't.

Now, after such a great 2007 season and with so much incentive to come back, he finally retired. I'm not entirely sure why—there are conflicting stories floating around, but my dad and I have suspected for several years that the Packers' current leadership really didn't want him to come back (his agent indicated as much in this account) so that any success could be attributed to the new regime instead of to good old Favre. That, if true, is really sad.

For anyone whose blood doesn't run green and gold, this seems like a dumb thing, but those of us who for 16 years have cheered on this charismatic, time-tested legend who grew up before our eyes, it's actually kind of traumatic. It's the end of an era. And I, for one, actually hate to think of following the Packers without him.

The nice thing is that I've got company to lean on here at Luther Seminary. As I pulled into the Gullixson Hall parking lot this morning, Chris, my seminary buddy and fellow Wisconsin native, called me to commiserate. Appreciating that and knowing that there are enough other Packer-backers around here, I quickly replaced the sign on the door of the Concord office, where I'm studying this morning, with a new sign temporarily marking it as the Brett Favre Retirement Crisis Center. A couple people have stopped to offer their condolences, including a Vikings fan who was no less saddened. He also offered his prayers.

In times of crisis, big or small, Luther Seminary is a great place to be. And if any other Favre fans are out there and in need of support, the Brett Favre Retirement Crisis Center will be open today until 1 p.m. and from 4 to 7 p.m. on the first floor of Gullixson Hall. Let us march forth together.

4 Comments:

Blogger brian said...

I'm stunned man. I really thought he'd be back for one more. Uggh.

3/04/2008 09:27:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're all shocked here in Titletown too. Celebrate the good times Andy! So put on the faded #4 jersey, grill up some brats and throw in that VHS tape of Super Bowl XXXI.

And it's not too early to pencil in this date in your calendar -- Saturday, August 3, 2013 -- the date Favre is inducted in Canton.

check it out

3/05/2008 01:51:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

it's a sad day in Packerland.....from one rabid fan to another....we all grieve together. Yes, we all need to make the jaunt to Canton in 5 years....it's a must for all who's blood is truly green and gold!!!!

3/07/2008 08:54:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not from Wisconsin but there are SO many, like myself, who thought highly of Brett Favre. We watched his life unfold. He bravely faced and conqured difficulties and sadness in his own life, was generous with charities he supported, and provided enjoyment for the viewers with his almost boyish love for football. His determination and skill were amazing. He was a role model for the young (and old). And finally, even this past week, he showed it was OK for a strong, masculine guy to show emotion and shed tears. He will indeed be missed!

3/08/2008 01:32:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home