Tuesday, March 13, 2007

This is how small the world can be

by SarahSE

I have heard that the Lutheran world is a small world, but I did not realize just how small until this week. My friend Scott invited me to a get together at his fiance's apartment. I first met Scott last year when he was a student at Augustana College and I was doing my internship there. However, it did not take us long to discover that Scott and I also grew up just a few miles from each other in Rapid City, SD (where his dad is a Lutheran pastor) AND that he was going to be headed to Luther Seminary in the fall. Now that he is here we get to hang out together once in awhile and reminisce about the Black Hills and Augustana. AND it did not take me long to discover that his fiance Lindsey graduated from St. Olaf recently, which is where I went to college!

Ok, so when we arrived at Lindsey's place we were not really expecting to see anyone we knew except those two, BUT the very first person I saw when I walked in was my friend Ryan from St. Olaf, whom I hadn't seen since we graduated! It turns out that Scott and Lindsey met while working together at Christikon, a Lutheran camp of the ELCA located in Montana. It was there that they got to know Ryan as well. It did not take me long to learn that since we graduated in 2003 that Ryan has lived all over the country doing social work and just recently moved back to Minneapolis. THEN a little while later my friend Anne came walking in--another friend from St. Olaf whom I had not seen in almost 2 years. She has the same connection with Scott and Lindsey! Anne, Ryan, and I were all English majors at St. Olaf together as well! It also turns out that Anne had told Scott about me in the past (since we are from the same hometown) and was surprised that we had not met until last year! Crazy! And fun! Finally all of those puzzle pieces fit together and we realized just how small the Lutheran world can be.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home