Wednesday, February 21, 2007

The Big News!

by SarahSE

So after Kevin and I found out my regional assignment this week. I sent out an email to a large group of family and friends entitled "Big News!" The big news was of course that Kevin and I received our first choice--Region 2 (CA, HI, NV, AZ, CO, WY, UT, NM, and a small part of TX- I think that's all of it!) However, almost every response that I received included, "When I saw your big news email I thought you were going to say that you are pregnant."

Let me clear that up right now, I am not pregnant. Fellow classmates have commented that I have been knitting baby things lately--they are not for me! They are for my friend whose baby shower is coming up. Now that that is out of the way, back to my story...

It was pretty neat that all of us who are going through assignment gathered together to receive and open our envelopes on Tuesday, and then to worship and share with one another. There were, of course, a lot of mixed emotions in the room--excitement, uncertainty, surprise, confusion, and elation, just to name a few. But as I looked around the room, I realized that we had all been through quite a lot together in the past four years and now our time in seminary is drawing to a close. I also realized just how deeply I care for all of my classmates and know that God will work through them wherever they go.

Kevin and I were so thrilled after we opened our assignment envelope that we decided to walk to the pub where a group of seniors were gathering to celebrate together to burn off some energy. The pub is about a mile away and it is still February in Minnesota. However, we rushed out without grabbing warm coats or hats and by the time we were about half way there realized that we had made a mistake, but it was too late. As a result, we both woke up the next day with pretty severe head colds. Kind of funny. Anyway, we still have a long road ahead of us, but we are excited to see where it takes us. I have a feeling that it is going to be a quick spring semester!

4 Comments:

Blogger Andy Behrendt said...

Congratulations to you both on the baby ... er, I mean, the assignment.

2/23/2007 12:42:00 PM  
Blogger ~moe~ said...

I'm happy you got your first choice, but I'm very sad you're moving farther away (not that I can talk). Congrats!

And if you are pregnant but trying not to make a big deal out of it, Sara is a great name for a girl...as you know. :)

2/26/2007 09:39:00 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Hey Sara,

I got the SAME reaction from a friend when I IMed her to tell her I had news...she thought I was pregnant...nope, just assigned to Region 3. I've noticed that people get jumpy after you've been married a couple of years...it's like they're spring-loaded for a pregnancy report!:-)

Rebecca Miller

3/02/2007 10:52:00 AM  
Blogger Derek Nelson said...

Sara,
Congratulations! I'm jealous of your California living, but so happy for you! I'm sure you and Kevin will be great there. Hope to see you soon - just happened to come across this site as I got my luthernet login finally (I may be doing internship next year, so am going the CLI thing).
peace,
Derek Nelson

3/28/2007 12:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home