Thursday, March 22, 2007

Life after the show

by SarahSE

So, I have been coordinating the Second Annual Silent Auction and Variety Show, which took place at Luther on March 15th, for about six months and now it is over! I can't believe it! I am glad to say that all of the hours and all of the work put in by the planning team and last-minute volunteers were well worth it. We raised over $4,100 for International Student scholarships and Minnesota Council of Churches Refugee Services. The Luther community made the night such a wonderful success! We took donations from students, staff, faculty, and area businesses for the auction and the show included acts from every corner of campus.

Although the fundraising for these great groups and the show were both absolutely wonderful, what made it all worth for me was the sense of community that I believe we all felt that evening. I hope that all of us realized, maybe just a little, that even with all of the transition that happens on campus from year to year, even with the large size of the student body, and even in the midst of our disagreements, we are still a community that hasn't lost its sense of humor. We still find it funny to see our president trying to polka to accordion music!

Once March 15th passed I realized that I had a TON of catching up to do both for school and in my personal life. I am still in the midst of the assignment process for first call in the ELCA. No definitive news yet there, but things are moving along at a quick pace! I have found prayer to be especially centering in the midst of so many unknowns looming over my head. Whatever happens, I pray that God will guide the process both for me and for my future first call parish!

Also, my husband Kevin and I will be leaving on Saturday to join approximately 180 St. Olaf students as they travel to New Orleans for Spring Break. No, we aren't going to party--we are going to do Hurricane Katrina Relief work. Kevin and I will be representing both Luther Seminary and PLTS and serving as "chaplains" for the group--leading reflection times and worship services as well as working on rebuilding teams. I'm looking forward to it! This will also be my second time to the Gulf Coast for such a a trip. Last year, I co-lead a trip for a group of Augie women to do relief work in Mississippi. I promise that updates are soon to follow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home