Wednesday, February 07, 2007

If there's a T-shirt for it, I must be in the right place

by Andy Behrendt

Thirty years ago, probably almost to the day, my dad first sat down in a Lutheran Confessions class taught by Jim Nestingen, a young instructor whom none of the students at Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary knew anything about.

This morning, I sat down in a Northwestern Hall classroom flooded with around 100 students, most of whom displayed an energy atypical for an 8 a.m. class and many of whom were wearing a T-shirt custom-made for the occasion of this, Professor Nestingen's final course at Luther Seminary.

I had never been in a class like this. Ever. Many of the students, most of the ones wearing the T-shirts (the back of the shirt reads, "Er Lebt," German for, "He Lives"), had already taken the course and were just sitting in to experience Nestingen one last time. There were also an emeritus professor and a Ph.D. graduate who now teaches at Augsburg College, among other high-ranking fans. There was applause when Professor Steven Paulson turned the lecture over to the man of the hour. This was more like a farewell concert for a rock 'n' roll legend than a seminary class. And this was only the first day.

In short, it didn't take me long to realize that there was nothing unusual about my dad considering Nestingen his favorite professor. Having heard so much about him over the years, there was no small kick for me when Nestingen began to lecture, complete with his trademark Norwegian accent. Everyone was hanging on his every word, joke and personal anecdote as he provided an overview of the documents that define Lutheranism and of the crucial doctrine of Justification by Faith. He even threw in his trademark "crap detector," a phrase that my dad has used for as long as I can remember, though he apparently forgot where he got it from.

Although I came to Luther Seminary to follow the calling of my Heavenly Father, there is also always some joy in moments when I get the chance to follow in the footsteps of my dad — not to mention my mom. Many times when I walk through the lower level of Northwestern Hall, I consider in a bit of awe that this is where my mom, then a Master of Arts student studying Christian Education, first recalls meeting my dad, then a first-year Master of Divinity student on janitorial duty.

I apparently came to what's now Luther Seminary just in time to relive my dad's study under Nestingen. I realized just weeks ago that this would be not only Nestingen's only course this year but also his final course. I actually snagged the last of the 90 official seats for the class. I know there's some controversy with Nestingen's retirement, and he's apparently no stranger to controversy. My dad, as he told me just tonight, actually led his Confessions classmates in circulating a petition to confront rumors that the seminary might let Nestingen go at that time. My dad, for the record, was as excited as he has ever been over the phone tonight as I shared a couple quips from the lecture, and I promised to e-mail him my lecture notes throughout the semester.

Just as Professor Nestingen told us how thankful he was for one more opportunity to teach, I feel blessed for this opportunity to learn from this man from whom my dad learned so much. Certainly the one we're really celebrating is Jesus Christ, but it was certainly fun today to be a part of this little celebration for one of Luther's many legendary instructors.

I even bought a T-shirt. Now I just need to figure out whether I'm going to give it to my dad or keep it for myself.

6 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

Any idea who a Luther alum could approach in order to get one of those shirts? You can respond over at my blog.

2/08/2007 03:38:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a fan of Jim Nestingen - even more of what he teaches.  I'm so glad he's got at least this one course left, and I'm glad he is so supported.  But I do hope he took the opporunity to teach the Word of God and correct the theological error (the one of idolatry) on the T-shirt in his lecture.

2/08/2007 09:10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm wondering about the "er lebt" on the back of the shirts. "Er lebt" would be exclaimed at the resurrection of Jesus Christ, would it not? If this is the case, then saying this about someone who is not Jesus Christ would seem to be something idolatrous, would it not?

There is no doubt that Dr. Nestingen is a phenomenal professor whose work has been foundational for scores of pastors and professors alike. Yet, Nestingen is not Jesus Christ; he is a sinner for whom Christ died and rose. And so, why not replace the phrase "Er lebt!" with a more appropriate phrase which has been uttered by Nestingen himself from the pulpit: Jesus loves sinners. It's time to eat.

2/08/2007 09:15:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"...because I live, you also will live." Jesus - John 14:19b NRSV

Jesus lives. Nestingen lives. We all live. Thanks be to God!

2/10/2007 08:54:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes...because Jesus lives, Nestingen lives, as do we. Yet, the shirt does not say "Jesu lebt; er lebt!" It says, "er lebt!" which, if the T-shirt reflects the idea that Jesus lives and thus Nestingen--and the rest of us--live, it does so in a veiled way. In the verse you cite, Jesus' statement is not veiled at all. Thus, the question is, again, does the t-shirt adequately reflect the fact that Jesus is the subject of the sentence on the back of the t-shirt and not Nestingen himself? I think the posts that suggest there is idolatry on the t-shirt are not so far off.

If nothing else, one of the things that we, as students of Nestingen, have learned is the way language functions, no matter the intent of the language itself.

2/11/2007 01:16:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was something like thirty years ago I sat in a class team taught by Jim Nestigen and Sheldon Tostengaard.

At that time I did not hear anything from Nestigen about a crap detector. However, about four years before that, at Augustana College in Sioux Falls, Sheldon Tostengaard came to class one morning and reported:

"I went to The Exorcist last night. It really set my theological crap detector going. A lot of theological crap in that movie."

I quoted that to the 7th grade confirmation class this year when they asked about exorcism. (They said they had seen all three movies. I have not seen any.)

There may be some Q source from which both Nestigen and Tostengaard received this revelation. (And nothing loath to use the detector as well.)

I will check anonymous to post this, however I am:

Joel Xavier
Augustana '74
LutherSem '82

2/13/2007 07:16:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home