Thursday, January 18, 2007

Some thoughts on friendship

by SarahSE

Remember that old saying, "You pick your friends, you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends' nose"? Well, ignoring the part about picking noses, I kind of wonder if this statement is true. Can we really pick our friends?

I say this because as I think about all of the people that I have met over the course of my life--as a kid, in high school, college, seminary, on internship, and beyond--it is somewhat surprising for me to realize that the people who have been there for me, the friends who have ended up being an integral part of my life are not necessarily the people I would have expected or chosen if it were truly up to me. Sometimes it seems that instead of me picking my friends, that my friends have actually picked me. Perhaps friendship is an even more intentional relationship than we realize, just not in the way that we expect.

I'm actually really thankful for this fact. I don't ever pretend that I am an expert at knowing exactly what is best for me in all circumstances. I certainly try to be self-aware. I finished my CPE requirement! But it also seems that it is more than a coincidence that such wonderful people have just been plopped down into my life and have actually taken the time to get to know me and care for me. Especially when I am going through something personally difficult, I am always overwhelmed by the kindness and love that my friends show me, whether or not I ask for it. Thank God for friends, both expected and unexpected.

3 Comments:

Blogger ~moe~ said...

There is a lot of truth to what you say. I often wonder if I am choosing the right people to associate myself with, but I think in the end, whether they are 'right', 'wrong' or 'chosen', they are right for me because whether I picked them, they picked me or we fell together like kids on a snowbank, they have all taught me something and helped me to grow and become the better person I am today. Nice post.

2/07/2007 07:40:00 PM  
Blogger Emmie said...

It indeed is true.We dont always make correct decisions...So it is God who chooses our friends on our behalf!! What do u think?

2/16/2007 05:59:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometime in our life we do feel skeptical about what or who is good for us...and then at that time its the Almighty who takes the decision on behalf of us and this is not called intentional frienship...whatever we get in life...always know that we deserve it as that is only meant for us...best wishes :)

3/01/2007 06:54:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home