Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Thanksgiving Overload

by SarahSE


Today Dining Services offered their pre-Thanksgiving feast which boasted:
  • Assorted Salads
  • Roast Turkey
  • Mashed Potatoes & Gravy
  • Herb Bread Dressing
  • Vegetable
  • Sweet Potatoes
  • Dinner Rolls
  • Pumpkin Pie Squares
  • Fountain Beverage
It looks good, to be sure, and it was only $6! A lot of people around campus were very excited about the pre-Thanksgiving feast, understandably. But as I looked over the menu I realized that over the course of the next week I was going to partake in so many Thanksgiving feasts, that I decided to say "No Thanks" to Thanksgiving.

Every year my husband and I have the same dilemma when it comes to Thanksgiving. Our families all live in the same town, and with the parents and the siblings and step-siblings and grandparents and the like it usually ends up that we eat Thanksgiving dinners several times a day for several days in a row. Don't get me wrong, I love cranberry sauce and turkey as much as the next person, but last year we had 5 Thanksgiving dinners to attend! After awhile, it's not fun anymore, it just hurts.

I know what you all are thinking--why not do like they taught us in elementary school and just say no? But have you ever tried to turn down your Norwegian grandmother's "at-least-have-some-of-the-potatoes-that-I-made-special-for-you"? Or your German mother-in-law's "why-don't-you-want-any-of-my-pumpkin-pie-you-aren't- on-a-diet-are-you"? It doesn't work. People's feelings seem to get hurt every time. So the best solution I can come up with is to stock up on the antacids and strap myself in for the Thanksgiving ride. That and plan on spending a lot of time on the treadmill when I get back.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sean Carter said...

Attending 5 Thanksgiving dinners can be a bit painful....and this is the time of the year when all your loved ones want to around...and you can't also refuse them all the time...so hey visit my Thanksgiving Blog sometime and find out a few resources that is sure to make your Thanksgiving celebrations a grand one with all your loved ones....

11/15/2006 11:29:00 PM  
Blogger NLG said...

Happy Thanksgiving!

11/16/2006 03:36:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home