Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Small Acts of Kindness

by SarahSE

How many of you have ever experienced something like this?

My morning begins with my alarm buzzing in my ear at 6:45 am. Even though I know that I am supposed to meet my friend at the gym at 7:00am, I hit the snooze. Ten minutes later, the snooze again...and again...and snooze...again, until it's all of the sudden 8:30! How did that happen??? So I rush out of bed and hurry to get ready because I'm supposed to be to work at 9:00am! Not only did I miss my workout, I also missed my 8:00 class. So I rush into work 15 minutes late and feel pretty harried. I am so FRUSTRATED with myself! Why didn't I just go to bed last night when I started feeling tired? Why did I stay up late sending emails and posting comments on my friends' myspace pages??? I didn't even finish all of the projects I had planned for the evening! Now I'm running late! I can't help but think to myself that today is not going to be a good day.

My supervisor and I start with the usual small talk, though I am not feeling as social as I normally do. Then she hands me something. It's the new Bob Dylan CD...the Bob Dylan CD that I have been searching for all over the Cities since it came out in September! And then she tells me that she remembered me making the passing comment that I couldn't find it, so when she saw it at Target in the Celine Dion section (Definitely the LAST place I would have ever looked!) she thought of me and picked it up for me! I'm speechless! I didn't do anything to deserve a present, if anything I feel quite undeserving. It's about the most thoughtful gift I could possibly imagine in that moment! All of a sudden, not only is my day not looking bad--it's looking really good! I'm feeling much better.

It made me realize just how much small acts of kindness can mean for someone, certainly for me. A smile, taking an extra moment to stop and talk, sending a card, or picking up a CD for someone, these might seem like no big deal, but sometimes these small acts can speak volumes.
We believe that the Holy Spirit gathers us into community so that we can care for and support each other every day. Even though I was not by any means facing a crisis, this little gift was a nice reminder of the greater gift God gives to us in each other and what a pleasure it is to be able to say thanks!

1 Comments:

Blogger Andy Behrendt said...

Wow. Repeatedly hitting the snooze button and running late ... that sounds all too familiar. Hope you are enjoying the Dylan CD. "Workingman's Blues #2" has quickly become one of my all-time favorite Bob tunes.

10/26/2006 10:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home