Friday, October 13, 2006

A Trip to the Theatre

by SarahSE

One of the many joys of my job as student life coordinator at Luther is getting to coordinate fun, community building events- like film showings, or team sports, or bowling nights, things like that. One of the events that I recently planned was a trip to the Theatre de la Jeune Lune to see their production of Moliere's The Miser. Eighteen people went, including myself, and it turned out to be a great night. The acting, directing, and set designs were all creative and well-crafted. What was even more exciting was the way that the show seemed to engage the entire audience. There was also a group of high schooler, and a group of student from St. Olaf (my alma mater!). You know a theater production is good if it can hold the attention of teenagers, Oles, and seminary student alike!

The show was thought-provoking, funny, offered scathing social commentary, and even made me squirm in my seat a time or two--you know the old saying, "I laughed, I cried," etc. Basically it was everything a night at the theater should be. What's even more exciting for me then were the conversations with my classmates that followed the next day. Everyone got something different out of the show, everyone experienced different emotions, and identified with different characters. The more I talked with other Luther students who saw The Miser, the more I like it. I think it is so wonderful how the arts bring people together in such a unique way! At any rate, everyone I spoke with agreed that this is a show worth seeing!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home