Friday, September 22, 2006

Studying the Proverbial

by SarahSE

I am taking a wisdom literature class this semester and for our very first assignment we read a large section of Proverbs, then picked one out to share with the class. I thought I might share mine here as well:

A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing personal opinion. (Proverbs 18:2)

I have to admit that my initial reason for picking this proverb is because I am afraid that I might be the fool in this proverb. I hope not, but you never know- I'm sure I have been more than I care to admit. But reading it reminds me that it is a good idea to stop and examine my reasoning for sharing something with other people. Then again, there are a few other people I know, besides myself, who come to mind too!

Studying wisdom literature has also made me realize how incredibly unfamiliar I am with this part of scripture. I did lead a Bible study on Job last year during internship. I thought it went fairly well. But I'll probably learn in this class that my approach was all wrong! At any rate, I think we are missing out on some good stuff! A few examples:

  • Hatred stirs up strife, but love covers all offenses. (10:12)
  • To guarantee loans for a stranger brings trouble, but there is safety in refusing to do so. (11:15)
  • The field of the poor may yield much food, but it is swept away through injustice. (13:23)
  • The wise of heart is called perceptive, and pleasant speech increases persuasiveness. (16:21)
A little something to ponder on a Friday.

3 Comments:

Blogger butterfliesarefree said...

Sarah,
I love your kniting page!!!

9/22/2006 04:04:00 PM  
Blogger SarahSE said...

Oh thanks!

9/22/2006 09:27:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We SO don't read Proverbs enough. It's a good reminder not to be the fool. :)

9/26/2006 08:56:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home