Thursday, September 14, 2006

Sniffing out Ministry

by Aaron

Whether allergies or a cold virus had caused the mucus blocking my nose, I do not know. I do know, however, that today breathing freely came only with the miraculous help of modern pharmaceuticals. Therefore, after work this afternoon I was not looking forward to Theology Pub, a small group ministry that I facilitate for my contextual education site, Spirit Garage. We had just resurrected Theology Pub from a nine-month coma for its grand re-emergence, and I did not want to go. I had to go, however. I am the facilitator. I am the minister. I am the one responsible. My inner dialogue started up.

“It won’t be that bad,” I thought, “It’ll be a nice break.”

“But you’re so tired. You can barely keep your eyes open now.”

“That’s just the anti-histamines talking. You’ll be fine once you get there.”

“I’ll be too groggy to say anything intelligible.”

“Let the other folks speak. You can listen.”

“What if nobody shows up?”

“Then you can have beer and go home. Nothing too strenuous.”

So, I dragged myself out of my La-Z-Boy and went off to Uptown for a beer and some conversation about God’s communication with humanity.

And it was wonderful. All of my friends from Spirit Garage showed up. We drank beer and ate popcorn and talked about how God might be speaking to us in our lives. Even though I sniffled through the whole conversation, I felt better for having gone.

Sometimes as pastors-in-training we get so wrapped up in “our” ministries that we forget to let those very ministries and their people minister to us. Theology Pub wasn’t a burden. It was a joy and a real gift from God for me today.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's the Spirit!

9/15/2006 08:47:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home