Thursday, September 21, 2006

The Faithfulness of our Fathers and Mothers

by Aaron

Last weekend I was honored to attend the Luther Seminary Leadership Circle Retreat. (The Leadership Circle is almost like the extended seminary board of trustees, folks who contribute significantly to the seminary, care deeply about its growth and future, and offer guidance.) I must admit, however, I was not quite so honored to be invited because I did not understand what would happen over the weekend nor who I would meet. I expected to be ushered in, asked to smile and wave at the folks attending, sit down and shut up. I expected to be one of token students used as a marketing ploy to wring more money out of the donors. 'Let the grown-ups do the talking, son. Sit there and look missional.'

I was completely wrong.

Going to the Leadership Circle Retreat was like attending a family reunion. I felt as though I got to meet a dozen of my long-lost parents and grandparents. The folks who came astonished me by how much they cared about the seminary, its students, and furthering the Gospel of Christ. Their mission is my mission: preach boldly and biblically, teach the faith to the next generation, and rally support for missional growth.

By being a member of this retreat, I was able to meet the "cloud of witnesses" who support me in my mission. They aren't just "the donors," but real people whose love for me and for Christ I have felt. And this love among the members of the Body of Christ keep me going on the path to becoming a pastor. We could not do it without their encouragement.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to feel the same way before I worked with the development office for awhile. Meeting the people who support Luther, not only financially but with prayers and support was very overwhelming. We're a small part of a bigger picture. It's not all about us...there are so many others impacted by what we do and what we will become.

9/26/2006 08:58:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home