Thursday, September 07, 2006

Sacristans: Life in the Sem's "Sacred Service" :)

by Aaron

As sacristan here at Luther Seminary, I witness our worship from behind the scenes. Along with another seminary student, I serve on the team I like to call our “professional alter guild.” We change the vestments, that is, the clothes that hang over the altar, the pulpit and in the back of the chancel. We set out the wine and the bread for communion. We coordinate assisting ministers. We clean up the pews and straighten the hymnals. At times, sacristan can be a fairly mundane job. There are times, however, because of my commonness I witness some unique events.

Forty-year veterans of preaching still get nervous before they give their sermon. Some read their manuscripts over and over making notes in the margins even while sitting up front while the lessons are read. Some shift around the vestry nervously glancing at the clock and straightening their alb, asking me to ensure that their pleats are straight. Some triple-check that water will be waiting for them at the lectern to whet their whistle during the homily. Seeing these little fidgets indicates two reassuring things to me. First, these people really care about us and about giving us a good word. Only those who appreciate their position and their audience have the emotional investment needed to get anxious. Second, it is okay for me to be nervous leading worship. Even the wonderful orators of our seminary get a little flushed before speaking. It doesn’t stop them. It won’t stop me.

1 Comments:

Blogger butterfliesarefree said...

Hail and well said!

9/12/2006 03:57:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home