Thursday, February 18, 2010

hammer dulcimer

by Amber

I think I got one of the most random/cool Valentine gifts ever this year: a hammer dulcimer. A few weeks ago, I had supper with Beth. Beth's husband Bob was my inspiration for starting seminary, and my pastor from High School until now. They've been (unknowingly, perhaps) mentors/parents/coaches to me for years. Anyway, Beth has had a hammer dulcimer for a few years, so when we met, I asked her how her playing was going. Much to my surprise she said she was thinking about selling it because it wasn't getting played enough! What??

Long story short...after the shock of her selling such a precious heirloom wore off, I told her if she wants to sell it, I'd like first dibbs at it. Of course, with a wedding 6 months off, and bills to pay, I realized it might be a bit of a stretch, but to own a treasure like this from two of my favorite people in the world was an opportunity I didn't want to pass up. I consulted Kevin, and it took him about 15 seconds to say, "We should get it!" I wanted a day or two more to think about it since it was a relatively major purchase, but before I got a chance to solidify it all, Kevin snuck down to Lakeville and picked it up as a Valentine gift for me! He showed up with a huge carrying case, and a grin from ear to ear! Lucky me! I've only had it 4 days, so I realize my rendition of "Now all the Vault of Heaven Resounds" has a long way to go, but I wanted you to hear just how amazing this beauty sounds. If you ever want to play it, c'mon over to Stub and I'll be happy to share! Thanks sooo much to Kevin, and of course, Beth and Bob for entrusting us with such a beautiful gift!

3 Comments:

Blogger hannahgjohnson said...

Incredible! You are so great!

2/19/2010 05:25:00 PM  
Anonymous Kelly said...

And thats only after 4 days?!?!?! WOW! Amazing.

2/22/2010 09:51:00 PM  
Anonymous Linda said...

You never cease to amaze me. God has given you sooo many gifts - I belive the best one is your love!

2/23/2010 04:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home