Saturday, May 03, 2008

Blog-worthy living...

by Simone

Good morning friends. It’s been many weeks since I posted a blog. In the last couple of months I have been working, taking classes, and doing very little else. I’ve learned a lot on campus and in my work life—I’ve even had moments when I really enjoyed what I am learning both on campus and at work. But mostly it has been a too full plate and too little time for being still or being social. I have found comfort or at a minimum rationalized that this kind of living in very tight space is only for a season. Living as I have the last couple of months has meant, unfortunately, there has not been much in my living that is blog-worthy to share with you. That is until last Saturday.

Typically Saturday finds me trying to do all the stuff I need to so that Monday – Friday runs smoothly (reading for class, doing household chores and running errands). But about this time last week I saw one of my neighbors and I remembered she previously asked if I would take a look at her daughter’s history project. I asked if she and her daughter were still interested. I was pleasantly surprised when she said yes. I went home and grabbed my grocery list, dry cleaning and figured I would stop in for a short stay and then run errands. My short stay turned into spending a couple of hours with an amazing 17 year old. In addition to her normal school work my neighbor has been researching Fannie Lou Hamer. Arriving at my neighbors’ house I found their living room floor was covered with a large beautifully crafted tri-fold display stand. Pictures and words from Mrs. Hamer and other civil rights heroes were carefully arranged. The 17 year old spoke with such passion and knowledge about Mrs. Hamer’s life. A couple of times her parents and I exchanged knowing glances as if to say, ‘What an amazing young woman!’ Spending time like this with my family and friends is important to me but lately I have not had as much of this time and I really miss it.

I found a sense of community that has been seemingly illusive this semester. I am sure there have been other moments this semester when an opportunity to meaningfully connect with others was at hand and I missed. I’ll keep my eyes open and if there are other blog-worthy moments this semester you will hear about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home