Monday, April 14, 2008

The big day came!

by Andy Behrendt

I've got a ton of reading to do tonight for a book report for my Pastoral Care class, but I couldn't allow myself to be any more overdue in updating y'all about the big day. The day that I had been waiting for. The day upon which an entire year of my life was hanging.

April 8 came. And, yep, "Matlock" came out on DVD. You may recall my excitement about this big day because of Tracy's love for the 1980s-90s courtroom drama starring Andy Griffith. Despite her delight at the Hallmark Channel's celebration of "Mad Mad Matlock Week" last week, Tracy actually forgot that Tuesday was the day when "Matlock" Season 1 was to be released on DVD, but I ... I mean "the Matlock Fairy" ... didn't. When Tracy went to bed on Tuesday night, she found that the Matlock Fairy had left a copy of the newly released DVD set on her pillow. She was surprised and overjoyed. So now 2008-09 can be the year that we relive the magic of Ben Matlock's entire historic first season. Case closed.

What's that? You thought maybe I was talking about another big day upon which an entire year of my life was hanging? Oh ... Internship Announcement Day. Yes, yes. I almost forgot. That ended up being April 4. All of us Master of Divinity students who were planning to go on internship in 2008-09 got an e-mail message telling us where we'd be placed. For some people, this let them know where in the country they'd be moving. One of my friends found out he'd be going to Alaska (and he was actually very excited about this). Due to Tracy's career, I hoped to remain in the Twin Cities, and God (and the seminary's Contextual Leadership Initiative) didn't let us down.

I'm going to be interning at Bethlehem Lutheran Church in Minneapolis. This was exciting news. Bethlehem was one of three Twin Cities internship sites that seemed to offer particularly great opportunities in the areas where I wanted to focus, and Bethlehem has been especially good at growth both in membership and discipleship. The church had 92 baptisms last year! It's both a Lutheran church and a Purpose-Driven church, which should make for a particularly fascinating experience. Plus my future supervisor is originally from Wisconsin, which is great (although she also apparently likes to use Comic Sans MS font, and she questioned my aversion to it at the end of my interview). I'll start interning in August, immediately after I finish my clinical ministry experience at hospitals just north of the Twin Cities.

So there you go. The next year looks to be full of great opportunities. And Matlock.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home