Saturday, September 02, 2006

"East coast, west coast, now Midwest"

by Marissa

Hello my name is Marissa. I will turn 23 in October and will be starting my second year here at Luther Seminary. I am a master of arts student in the Children, Youth and Family Ministry program.

I work 10 hours a week as a youth director of a small Episcopalian congregation, and part time as a substitute program counselor/care giver for a group home agency. I love both of my jobs, especially when I work with the residents in the group homes; there I am able to use the skills I gained as I pursued my degree in Special Education at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Yes, I said Las Vegas! My hometown is Henderson, NV, a large town about 25 min. from the lights and luck of Las Vegas. Before my move to Nevada at age 14, I grew up in a suburb on Long Island in New York. So I have been on both the East Coast and the West Coast. I am now exploring life in the Midwest.

I chose Luther Seminary solely for the quality of the youth and family program and the faculty within that concentration. When I am not in class, studying, working or sleeping, I enjoy attending concerts of all sorts. From symphonies, to Thousand Foot Krutch (a punk rock Christian band), to Kelly Clarkson, I enjoy them all. I also have fun with being creative, whether painting, crocheting, cross stitch, or decorating. I love being able to create something fun with just a few art supplies. Shopping also ranks high on my list of fun, even if it is just window shopping when money is tight on my student budget. However a trip to the Rosedale Mall or MOA (Mall of America) is never complete for me without a stop at Godiva for a dark chocolate truffle.

That is pretty much me in a nutshell. Other than that, I plan out everything-even some time for play-a must for every Seminary student!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home